name·sake (nām'sāk') n. One that is named after another.
[From the phrase for the name's sake.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth EditionCopyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
I love all of my daughters' first names. But it's their middle names that hold special meaning to me. They all have the same middle name as a family member.
- Gianna Marie - me, Gina Marie
- Brielle Elizabeth - my mom, Mia Elizabeth*
- Shaye Lyn - my sister, Tessa Lynn
- Mackenna Anne - my MIL, Patricia Ann
*Elizabeth is also my Confirmation name.
And though I never got the opportunity to use a boy name, I always loved the idea of having a junior. A few years back however, John and I were having some fun imagining what life would be like if we added twin boys to the mix. (Twins for a little leverage.) We even named "them"...
John Robert and Gary Michael
- John - John and his dad, John Sr.
- Robert - John's maternal grandfather
- Gary - my dad
- Michael - our only nephew to date
and though we may never have the opportunity to give these names to actual children, we carry the thought in our hearts.
What's the story of your child(ren)'s name(s) ?